Last year’s overall World Cup winners Kasper Fosser (NOR) and Tove Alexandersson (SWE) had a great start to their title defence – both winning the individual sprint in Borås, Sweden on Thursday.
The sprint went in Sjöbo, a couple of kilometers north of centre Borås in housing estates in between apartment blocks with lots of controls and many route choices to make.
And here Tove Alexandersson made another incredible performance by winning with a margin of 29 seconds.
– It was so intense all the time with a lot of controls. There was no time to relax, as I had to be focused all the way, she says.
Fellow Swede Lina Strand was second and Simona Aebersold (SUI) and Hanna Lundberg (SWE) shared the third place – 53 seconds slower than Alexandersson.
– It feels good to be in shape when I must be in shape. I have been training a lot and this has been the first week, that I have taken it a bit easier to have some more energy. And it is nice to feel the difference in the legs, Alexandersson says.
The Swedish women overall had at great day in Borås with six athletes finishing within top 10.
In the men’s class, Fosser’s victory was a lot narrower after 4,3 kilometers on the pavement and grass in Sjöbo.
Tim Robertson (NZE) finished second, six seconds behind and Belgian Yannick Michiels snatched the third place just one second ahead of Gustav Bergman (SWE).
– My legs haven’t felt this great for a long time. I have been struggling with getting back after an injury, so it was good to feel, that they were working again. Technically, I had a great race as well, Kasper Fosser says
– The stress fracture I had in October has been haunting me up until today, so to be honest, I did not think it was possible to win. It means a lot for my confidence to take this victory, Fosser says.
Find Web-TV, GPS-tracking and results at IOF LIVE.
The World Cup Round in Sweden continues Saturday with the Knock-Out Sprint. Qualification begins at 8.30 – quarter finals at 14.30 and the Web-TV stream (semifinals and finals) from 16.00 CEST (UTC+2).
Follow the thrilling Knock-Out Sprint at:http://dev.orienteering.sport/event/orienteering-world-cup-round-1-2/knock-out-sprint/
- Kasper Fosser, NOR 15:40
- Tim Robertson, NZE 15:46
- Yannick Michiels, BEL 15:51
- Gustav Bergman, SWE 15:52
- Matthias Kyburz, SUI 16:04
- Max Peter Bejmer, SWE 16:05
- Tove Alexandersson, SWE 15:50
- Lina Strand, SWE 16:19
- Simona Aebersold, SUI 16.43
- Hanna Lundberg, SWE 16.43
- Emma Bjessmo, SWE 16.50
- Elena Roos, SUI 16:54
Photos: IOF/William Hollowell